Search accommodation

Format: 2014-07-29
Format: 2014-07-29

Customer service

Working hours
Sunday - Friday:
08:00 h - 14:30 h
Saturday:
08:00 h - 15:30 h

Contact
Podvrtaje 21
22 243 Murter/Croatia
T: + 385 (0)22 436 544
F: + 385 (0)22 436 545
E: josip@murter-kornati.com
W: www.murter-kornati.com

Tisno

Tisno - Island MurterTisno is the newest town on the island of Murter. It developed in the place where the island almost reaches land and was therefore named after this narrow strait. The town of Tisno was mentioned in 1474 for the first time, but it was mostly settled during the  Cyprus and Cretan wars – the wars between Venetians and the Ottoman Empire. During French reign (1806-1813) Tisno was the largest town on the island and therefore the center of the county. In the early 18th century, after there was no danger of Turkish attacks any more, a bridge was built across the strait and the town started to spread on land as well.

The centre of the old part is located on the island, south-east from the bascule bridge. Behind the last row of houses and the church of St. Andrew there is a stony beach, overlooked by woods, and a nice promenade almost 1,000 metres long. The new part of the town was built on land, in the region called Gomilica.
 
Unlike most other Dalmatian towns and villages, Tisno is very rich in green vegetation, it has got unusually spacious squares and a long promenade, perfect for a refreshing summer stroll. Lately, the onshore part of Tisno has started to develop rapidly, especially its south-western part and the region around the Artić bay. Many summer houses, suites, restaurants and small family hotels were built here.

Tisno is also known for its big feast of Our Lady of Caravaggio (Gospe od Karavaja), which takes place on May 26th. This is when the local congregation gathers here.